Newlyn, England’s largest fishing port, has a fishing history that can be traced back to the 16th
century and has attracted many Victorian painters, who visited or even settled in the small village with white painted or stone faced granite cottages, separated by narrow alleys, to this day often too steep or narrow for a motor car. The artists’ depiction of local folks’ life around the harbour, painted ‘en plein air’, found huge success with the Victorian public and led to the founding of the Newlyn School in 1885 by Stanhope Forbes. The school became highly influential, resulting in more and more artists flocking to the area. Nowadays, the Newlyn Art Gallery and the Newlyn Society of Artists are continuing Forbes’ work and have built an international reputation in the art world. The ‘Deep End’ has a splendid collection of old photos of Newlyn with kind permission from the famous Penlee House Photograph Archives.
Please click here to view a map of our location.